Saturday, February 23, 2008

Stuff White People Like 1-10

I was wasting time this morning over coffee and found this blog mentioned on another site. It looked too good to pass so I clicked. I think I peed my pants. No. Seriously. If you don't possess a sense of humor nor the ability to laugh at your own race, this site is not for you.

My better half; who is from Connecticut, said this blog is all about the mass amounts of democrats living in parts of Fairfield and Litchfield Counties. He should know, he spent over 30 years in CT. The rest well, gotta love it...


Stuff White People Like


While reading through the posts, I found one about vintage. I think this may have been the start of the trickle. SoI thought I would share my views on where I differ from the list...and it started with vintage...see..I am on topic.


#1 COFFEE

"They are also fond of saying “you do NOT want to see me before I get my morning coffee.” White guys will also call it anything but coffee: “rocket fuel,” “java,” “joe,” “black gold,” and so forth. It’s pretty garbage all around.

If you want to go for extra points - white people really love FAIR TRADE coffee, because paying the extra $2 means they are making a difference."



Now now...I am very serious when I say you don't want to see me before my coffee. It is very true. But the affects last well into my third cup, so technically you don't want to see me until after my third cup. However; my male better half hates coffee and quite frankly, I will drink yesterday's coffee reheated in a dirty mug, thank you.



#2 Religions that their parents don’t belong to

"White people will often say they are “spiritual” but not religious. Which usually means that they will believe any religion that doesn’t involve Jesus.

Mostly they are into religion that fits really well into their homes or wardrobe and doesn’t require them to do very much."


Well, no, I am the same religion as my mother and I work very hard at being the good person God wants while trying to understand his tools for a clean and healthy life. But otherwise, I frankly agree 100%...and again, I am a white person.


#3 Film Festivals

"White people can’t enough of Film Festivals. Especially Sundance, Toronto, and Cannes. The reason why they love them so much can be due to a number of factors."

Too many factors to list...but I think they have something here...although, I have never been to a film festival and never plan on going. Yes, I have taken a film class. Ahem..ok..I have taken two film classes. Why? Because as point #2 points out..it was the easiest choice...


#4 Assists

"One explanation is that white people still feel guilty over slavery, colonialism, and the crusades so passing is a way to make up for it. But more importantly, it makes them feel good to help others."

I think this has something to do with basketball...which being white, I know little about. However, I don't have any guilt about slavery, colonialism or the crusades and quite frankly, the media cannot make me start. I wasn't there and had nothing to do with it..remember that. Although, I do like helping others...but I do that just out of liking to help others.


#5 Farmers Markets

"White people like Farmers Markets for a number of reasons. The first is their undying need to support local economies (see future post), and the idea of buying direct from the farmer helps them assuage the fears instilled in them from reading Fast Food Nation (and yes, every white person has read this book)."

Well, I would like to think I love Farmer's Markets...and I do see a lot of people in overalls and they do drive tractors, but to be honest, I always leave disappointed. The prices are always high, the fruit and veggies are usually bruised, sometimes things smell like poop. And no, I have never read Fast Food Nation..but I have been meaning to.

#6 Organic Food

"Never mind the fact that if the world were to switch to 100% organic food tomorow, half the earth would die of starvation.

But white people don’t care, just so long as they aren’t eating pesticides they are pretty sure they can live forever.

It’s almost guaranteed that if some Columbian drug lord can start offering “organic” cocaine, he’ll be the richest guy ever"

Well. I do choose to buy organic in some situations...but otherwise...gotta agree with this one too. 100% organic crack sounds really good.

#7 Diversity

"White people love ethnic diversity, but only as it relates to restaurants.

Many white people from cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York will spend hours talking about how great it is that they can get Sushi and Tacos on the same street. But then they send their kids to private school with other rich white kids, and live in neighborhoods like Santa Monica or Pacific Palisades.

But it’s important to note that white people to do not like to be called out on this fact. If you run an ethnic restaurant you can be guaranteed repeat business and huge tips if you act like your white customers are adventurous and cultured for eating food that it isn’t sandwiches or pasta."

Well, I actually copied the whole paragraph on this one. I honestly believe there is a lot of truth here. But for me....frankly, I LOVE my Chinese and Mexican dives around the corner. But I also have a lot of respect for the people who run them....because they are good people. You can be black white purple or green..if you are a drain on society, you are a drain, if you are an asset, you are an asset. I need a fajita plate special.


#8 Barack Obama

"Because white people are afraid that if they don’t like him that they will be called racist."

I don't like him.


#9 Making you feel bad about not going outside

"And much like most things with white people - they win both ways. If you decide to go with them, they feel good about getting someone off the couch and “into the fresh air,” and if you don’t decide to go, they can spend their entire time outdoors saying “boy, this is great, X doesn’t know what he/she is missing!” and running on a mix of self-satisfaction, Odwalla juice and muesli."


Is it wrong that I agree with this one too?

I belong to a social group for my Autistic son and I swear, the waiting room is filled with nature loving democrats with no TVs and truly, moms talking about food choices while thumbing through organic gluten free catalogs discussing what hike they are going on the next weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors. I am a mountain girl. But I am just not willing to fight three hours of traffic filled SUVs with two people inside to get to a mountain or spend my time in the city with 1000 other people on a two foot wide nature trail.

#10 Wes Anderson movies

"White people love Wes Anderson movies more than they love their kids.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) “I know a lot of people said they didn’t like this film, but I thought it was fantastic.”

I would have never even known who Wes Anderson was if I had not seen the above title listed. I am a huge Bill Murry fan..a junky, many Bill movies are in my top 10 favs..but this move put me nightynight. Maybe I am not white after all.

I never did get to the vintage part, did I? More to follow...




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you added me as a contact in Flickr and I usually don't take more than a 2 second glance at anyone's blog/store/profile who adds me anywhere but I'm so glad I did this time! Your store is great and I love your blog! I think this is my favorite and the best blog I've come across so far.
Secondly, This particular blog post is so...."Funny because it's true"! I can't wait til my husband gets home he's gonna love it. We live in uptown New Orleans near the Garden District and what you've listed here is an unspoken pre-requisite for moving into our neighborhood! Farmer's Markets at every corner, coffee houses at every turn and let's not forget our huge Wholefoods Market. In between those are all the international restaurants and private schools! I'm a double iced latte drinker myself and when you said you'd drink yestderday's coffee reheated in a dirty mug I liked you even more! Pleasure to make your aquaintance! I will make time to read your blog, Kelly from Vaudeville Vintage

The Nostalgic Nugget said...

Why thank you kindly! I was on a four cup coffee driven contact frenzy on flickr and just...clicked and.... clicked..I knew I would find some jewels in the bunch..nice to meet you! Thank you for seeing the humor in this..my book of life is filled with laughing at one's self and those around you..makes for a good day!

HDRose, a very gilty girl said...

Amber! why has it taken so long for me to find this GREAT BLOG? I have signed up for updates. Maybe I've been lookin' for love in all the wrong places... but I haven't seen ya around lately.

Love the new cookware photos especially that 'to die for' roaster.

My ex mom in law had a set of these and what workhorses they were!

I LOVED The Life Aquatic and so does my family and The Royal Tannenbaums as well. Along a slightly different vein, have you seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz with Nicholas Pegg? My college aged son turned me on to them. I was skeptical as I am not a horror person. These were campy with Hot Fuzz being the better of the two.

Now Pegg is doing Run FatBoy Run.
Pale white boy meet beautiful black girl and......

Ok, I will confess my shame....I still periodically watch What About Bob? and Ground Hog's Day.

Chao Bella,
HighDesertRose

here is my blog. I am a baby blogger. my vocabulary has been out of use for so long as it was once ruled by medical lingo, I 'aven't got me sea legs yet.

I'm at www.idigoldstuffothergiltypleasures.com

p.s. loved your rainbow shirts and takes on rainbow people.