Saturday, February 16, 2008

eBay Story, Part 2

Well,

it's Saturday morning and the better half left an hour ago to start saling. Yes, as in estate sales, not with a boat. I figured since the coffee has kicked in I should make good use of it. But you know, I got to thinking, I could take this story about eBay a thousands different ways. Especially with all the new horrifying changes that many people simply do not understand. But I don't know if I feel like rehashing all that frustration and anger. I am trying to use the rest of my energy, angst I have left after posting to every blog about this story, for the good...and so far I have.

I am hard at work building up two new store fronts. I have a third in mind but so far I am not enjoying the process. But I can say I am enjoying building at ecrater and buyitsellit. Our items were coming up quickly near the top of google and right now that is all I can ask for. I really do encourage people to get free storefronts there and build. The venues are not right for everyone, but they are right for rare and wanted, high return customers, flat priced items...get my drift?

So at this point, I think I need to direct myself....

Technically, to be honest....it isn't really a story at all. This is just where I get to ramble on about eBay experiences, good and bad and hope that someone out there enjoys reading as much I as I enjoy slamming my fingers into the keys.

So first, I am going to start out with a good eBay story. I owe it to the guy because frankly, it is very rare to come across a buyer this nice anymore.

We had a vintage typewrite up on eBay at a fair Buy It Now price. It sold very quickly to a semi new ID, which unfortunately, always worries us due to many bad experiences.

This guy quickly emailed and asked us very nicely and very respectfully about his packaging concerns. He made note that we had excellent feedback, especially about packing, but he also noted as we state; we were not typewrite experts...so he very sweetly informed us how he really needed this item packed and that he was more than willing to pay more to have it done so.

Now, since we sell many breakable items, like Coleman lanterns with glass globes that go to Japan, etc. We are very used to collectors being for picky about packaging. But nine times out of 10 these buyers don't offer to pay for the extra costs or time, and they are frankly quite rude about it. We just stay polite and tell them they have no worries, because for lack of a better term, we are very anal about our packing..ok, that sounded bad. Anyway, we are very careful. We have no reason to hand pick, carefully clean, carefully take pics, advertise the heck out of it and then ship it bad. We want people to love what we find. We did not feel the need to charge this buyer more. We already figured that we had to pack the item well, and we planned on packing it exactly as the buyer hoped we would.

This buyer was very understanding, responsible and just wonderful to work with. He received his item and I got this in an email yesterday:


"Thank you very much for an excellent transaction, and taking such care shipping this machine. I wish all ebay sellers were as professional, and honest at you are. I have left positive feedback.

Thanks again."


This is what eBay used to be like most of the time.....and this is what I truly miss the most. It comes down to the mutual respect and knowledge that the buyer has nothing and the seller has nothing, without each other.


P.S. Wow..I am impressed. My ramblings actually did bring on nostalgia and kept me on topic. Not too shabby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With fragile or oddly shaped items, we've generally said we'd have UPS pack and ship, at the buyer's expense, and that's worked out (so far).

Anonymous said...

Hello, there...

I got your email this morning, and thought I'd check out your blog. I'm the buyer of the sweet little Torpedo typewriter you described in your post above. It really is better than described on your post. I've bought a couple typewriters on ebay, and have had a couple shaky experiences. I took a risk on one that looked fine, and typed okay when I got it, but had a smoky stench so bad I couldn't bear to be in the same room with it. (These things are from the 50's / 60's after all). I'm sure the seller knew, but neglected to mention it in his post. It's one of those situations where he didn't technically "lie", but, I'm sure he knew he probably should have mentioned it in the listing. I teach my son that "deception" is the same thing as lying. i.e. He'll get in the same sort of trouble for "trying to pull a fast one" on his old man, as if he outright lies to me.

But then, as a buyer, you get into this sort of "veiled threat" situation with ebay, where you've paid on time, and lived up to your end of the bargain, but the seller won't post feedback. It's this sort of "well, if you leave me neg feedback, I'm going to leave YOU neg feedback" thing, which is a bit childish.

I suppose I can understand that, though, because there are certainly buyers out there that will thoughtlessly post neg feedback for the stupidest thing, without trying to work it out first.

For instance, the second typewriter I bought off ebay arrived damaged, which is really a shame, because it was a nice little machine, and I got a good deal on it. It had basically a couple wadded up pieces of paper in it.

Here's an experiment. Take a 20lb typewriter. Put it in a box with a few wadded up pieces of newspaper, throw it around a few times, then take it out again. I'm sure you can guess the probable results. Broken levers, bent keys, broken cases, etc...

Anyway, I contacted the seller who luckily turned out to be a very honest guy. Sent him some pictures, etc. Since I didn't pay much for it at all, we ultimately decided just to call it a loss and split it. It was cheaper than shipping it back, etc, etc. Even though we both lost a few bucks on the txn, I was perfectly fine with the way everything worked out and left + feedback. It's the risk of doing business, and he was more than fair.

Anyway, it's really a shame that people take advantage of the veil of anonymity that the internet provides to be rude or "sneaky". It screws it up for the rest of us. There is just no way I ever would have found the little gem of a machine that you sold me locally. For me, that was a very rare find at a fair price. You can't ask for more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment! We have had great luck with Fedex. They also seem to be a lot cheaper than UPS.